Civic Ballet of SLO’s “The Nutcracker” Show Stars Current and Former SLOHS Students

SLOHS students junior Josie LaChapelle and senior Jayden Dowler are stars of this year’s production. Photo courtesy of Civic Ballet of San Luis Obispo.

Celebrate the Holidays with the Civic Ballet of San Luis Obispo’s “Nutcracker” Show.  The remaining dates of this yearly production are December 8-10. Current and former San Luis Obispo High School students from the Civic Ballet Of SLO are part of this year’s “Nutcracker” production. 

“The Nutcracker” is a ballet that has entertained audiences since 1892 when it premiered in the Moscow Imperial Theaters the week before Christmas. Since then it has had a strong connection with the winter holiday season. 

The traditions of this ballet run deep in many ways. For dancers, many have been performing in it for multiple years. 

“Many of our audience members come back year after year. They have made it a family tradition that spans five, ten,15 years,” said SLOHS graduate and artistic director for the Civic Ballet of SLO Drew Silvaggio.

SLOHS graduates Drew Silvaggio and Jamie Guerra play a huge part in the coming performance and are working beside multiple SLOHS students. 

SeniorJaydn Dowler and junior Josie LaChapelle have two of the main roles.

“It is an honor to share a stage with those high schoolers: the talent made possible by their endless hard work is beyond admirable,” said Guerra. 

According to KSBY, the ballet is one of the longest running “Nutcracker” productions in the United States with live music. This long history is represented by the quality of the performance.

“As I learn and grow as a director and choreographer, the show from year to year gets better and more specific (hopefully),” said Silvaggio.

The Nutcracker show dates can be seen by clicking this link. Come out and support our tigers! 

Sources: civicballetslo.org, ksby.com, nutcracker.com, events.calpoly.edu