Finals are Over and the Second Trimester Begins Today

Students at San Luis Obispo High School are saying goodbye to their previous classes. Illustration courtesy of junior Jr Moctezuma.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School are finally done with finals. Now students are entering the second trimester of the school year. Some are super excited, others– not so much. Each year, teachers vote on whether SLOHS should follow a trimester or a semester school year. SLOHS is one of the few schools that follow the trimester schedule. 

“I’m really not looking forward to the next trimester because I don’t want to switch classes,” said freshman Makaylin Molinar.

For freshmen and new students, the trimester system is different from the semester that they had at their previous schools. A trimester and a semester’s biggest difference is the amount of time in each session. Trimesters usually consist of twelve to thirteen weeks and semesters are around twenty weeks. 

“Trimesters are stupid I feel like it’s reversed learning because I can’t remember what I learned from the previous classes,” said sophomore Nevo Kamen.

With each new trimester, students get a new schedule and fun opportunities with the many different electives and possibly different teachers for continuation of core classes, like English and math. 

“I’m really looking forward to starting my small animal pre-vet course,” said junior Chessa Foster.

Along with the trimester, there are new tryouts for winter sports, that include: Girls and Boys Basketball, Boys and Girls Soccer, and Boys and Girls Wrestling. 

“I’m playing soccer this trimester. I’m excited for the season to start because our team gets really close, and I’m excited for the night games,” junior Zoe Minnery. 

With this upcoming trimester, the SLOHS Theater Company is getting ready to perform “The Little Mermaid.” Previously, they performed “Noises Off,” and it was a big hit. A great deal of students and teachers are excited to attend “The Little Mermaid.”

“I can’t wait to take my daughters to see ‘The Little Mermaid,’” said math teacher Scott Rosenblum.

Expressions wishes SLOHS students good luck on their second finals, as well as many exciting sports games and wonderful performances to attend.