What is SLOHS’ FCA Club?

FCA club members listening to a short sermon and enjoying pizza. Photo courtesy of Instagram account @slohs_fca.

San Luis Obispo High School has many clubs, but Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) stands out as one of the few religious clubs on campus. 

“The mission of FCA is to spread light on campus and be a welcoming space for all people. Our name is ‘Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ but we always tell people they don’t have to be a Christian or an athlete to come to meetings. Our ultimate goal is to remind everyone that our campus is in need of the joy only Jesus can bring and present them opportunities to grow,” said FCA president and senior Emma Jantos.

Making SLOHS campus a place of acceptance and bringing people together in Christ is one of FCA’s main goals. FCA is a safe space for all people of all backgrounds, and provides a great environment for Christians and non-Christians alike.

“People should come to FCA, because it is a safe place where Christians and athletes can feel comfortable to talk about their religion, and also to rely on each other. It also brings a lot of perspective from the speakers into every single student’s life. We also just have a fun time,” said FCA leader and senior Payton Pinckert.

Building relationships that are grounded in similar beliefs and interests are extremely important for high school students. 

“FCA, to me, means friendship and love. The club has a sense of community and a very large group of sweet and supportive people,” said junior Anja Reed.

FCA has become a safe place for students struggling with any of the modern day challenges they face. It is a quiet time for students to connect with peers and adults with their best interests in mind.

“I came to FCA and I knew I could rely on a safe place where I could talk about my religion. I made so many great connections through FCA and then continued on to a lot of involvement with my church. I am so thankful for the people I have met and the worship that has been taking place,” said Pinckert.

FCA meets every Thursday in room 909 for games, pizza, and a short message. Tigers, if interested in finding a close-knit, safe environment, come give FCA a try!