UPDATE: SLOHS Student Arrested in Connection with Fire Behind SLOHS Which Prompted School Wide Evacuation on Monday

The view from the front of SLOHS was flames and smoke instead of jammed cars and buses picking up students. Photo courtesy of SLOHS English teacher Scott Nairne.

UPDATE on November 1: According SLOHS Principal Rollin Dickinson, one arrest was made Tuesday afternoon related to the fire. A fifteen year old SLOHS student was arrested on campus by the San Luis Obispo Police Department after school camera footage was reviewed.

San Luis Obispo High School students and staff are returning to a smoky campus today after a vegetation fire broke out directly behind the high school FFA farm at approximately 2:50 p.m. on Monday.

No students were hurt and no structures in the area were damaged.

“Returning to my classroom today, the hillside is still smoking andthe rooms in the 200 building are really smokey,” said English teacher Lynnly Sainsbury.

As the fire quickly spread up the hillside, students and staff were evacuated to Holt Field, where students had a prime time view of the fire and Cal Fire water drops from five planes.

SLOHS administration then excused all students off campus through the San Luis Drive front gates. Campus was almost completely empty by 3:40 p.m. except for fire and police personnel.

SLOHS Principal Rollin Dickinson made Parentsquare updates Monday and early this morning about school reopening today. Currently, PG and E has a temporary power struck working to restore power to the 500 and 300 buildings before school starts.

Dickinson said that masks are available in the front office for students and staff bothered by the smoke.

The fire has burned 100 acres and has spread up the hillside behind Lizzie street. It is currently ten percent contained. Residents in the area are on an evacuation warning as of this morning.

The San Luis Obispo Police Department is questioning a male in his fifties about his connection to the fires that started around the same time in the Stenner Creek area of the Cal Poly campus. He was also seen in the area around SLOHS. Both of those fires were less than an acre in size and were quickly contained.

No cause of the SLOHS fire, dubbed The Lizzie Fire, has been determined.

Sources: SLOHS Administration, KCBX, KSBY

View Comments (3)