The ACT vs the SAT: Only One Test is Today.

Are you ready for the ACT? Photo courtesy of reporter Sage Meeks.

Every year colleges get more and more competitive, and San Luis Obispo High students spend a lot of time and energy trying to get into their chosen college.

Two of the biggest focuses are on American College Test (ACT) and Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) scores, while the SAT’s aren’t for a few months, the ACT is being taken by junior and seniors today.

“I plan on taking the ACT and SAT when i’m a junior, I want to get into a good four year and I want to increase my chances of getting in as much as I can, I hear the SAT and ACT are a good way to do that,” said freshman Sawyer Cram.

Students tend to pay more attention to the SAT then the ACT, according to usnews 1.7 million students took the SAT in 2022 while only 1.35 took the ACT. 

The major difference between them are; the ACT focuses more on the high school curriculum also including a science section and allows calculators on the math section, while the SAT is almost an aptitude test for college, with only a math and english section and no calculators. 

“I won’t be taking the ACT this year, I wasn’t sure exactly what it was and wasn’t aware it was being taken today,” said Izayaha Crespo Johnson.

Colleges see both tests equally though, so if possible students should be taking both. Since you can take the ACT multiple times it can be a great way to gauge improvement and increase chances of getting into the college of your choice.  Whether or not you’re taking the ACT today, definitely plan on doing so next year.