Pre-Season Practice Begins For a SLOHS Girls Track Team

The SLOHS Girls Track Team is hitting the weights with pre-season practice intensity. Photo courtesy of senior Téa Fischer.

The San Luis Obispo High School Girls’ Track and Field Team is sprinting out of the blocks into pre-season practices. Track and Field is one of SLOHS’ most successful and popular sports, and has had many triumphant seasons in recent years.

Pre-season practices for SLOHS’ female track & field athletes means a running workout on Mondays, lifting in the weightroom on Wednesdays, and another running workout on Fridays.

“What we are trying to do here is establish a baseline. Here, you guys can handle this level of work, and we can be able to go and ‘take off running,’ so to speak, into the season,” said math teacher and head girls sprints coach David Gomes. 

It is rumored that due to the past few seasons’ results, both girls and boys Track and Field at SLOHS will move up to Division 1. This jump from D2 to D1 requires a step up both in commitment and in athleticism in athletes.

“I really like the preseason practices because it gives me a chance to get conditioned before the season,” said sophomore Olivia Martinez.

SLOHS Tigers are excited to gear up for this upcoming Division 1 Track and Field debut.

Run fast, go SLO!