Let’s Call Marching Band a Sport!

SLOHS band crushed it during the first home football game! Photo courtesy of SLOHS marching band.

At San Luis Obispo High School and many schools across the nation, there have been a lot of arguments about whether or not band is a sport. 

Marching band is not considered a CIF sport at SLOHS, but is it still a sport for other people? why shouldn’t the other bands share in this glory?

“It’s not a sport because all the other sports get more physical and intense. In the band, you are just carrying your instrument,” said junior Alondra Delgado.

SLOHS students have no idea how tiring band is, and yet it gets shamed because SLOHS students think they’re weird. 

The band also has a lot of commitment and puts in a lot of great effort to become the best band in both county and state! They have football games, field show competitions, and parades that show that the SLOHS band is the best. Their performances are very entertaining and they always leave the judges in awe. 

“I think band is a sport because you get the exercise you wouldn’t normally get in a [PE] class,” said senior Jenna Kelley.

The band practices every Tuesday night after school from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. leaving the members very tired. While they’re tired of the amount of work they put in, their dedication is what makes them successful because it allows the band to work on improvement and growth.

“Band members perform a seven to eight minute show blowing loudly through their instruments while marching, sometimes backward, at 180 bpm. This is done in full uniform many times in hot weather. This takes great stamina,” said band director Sharon Jeskey.

SLOHS band is certainly not for the weak, and it’s time that they’re recognized for the hard work they put in.