Is Newspaper the Most Underappreciated Class? Probably.

Not many know about the Newspaper experience in room 214. Photo Courtesy of SLOHS Expressions.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School need to be aware of the possibilities and contributions within Newspaper Production. Supervised by English and newspaper teacher Scott Nairne, Newspaper seems to be one of the classes that is hidden underneath the rug and is one that students look down upon, despite being a center stone to our community.

Why is Newspaper the most underrated class? 

Not only is it a welcoming community aiming to educate and entertain the students and staff at SLOHS, but it can be a learning experience to many as well. 

“I’ve learned a new type of writing style meant to inform people,” said freshman reporter Zachary Wallace.

Newspaper is much more interesting and impactful than many make it out to be.

Even current members of Newspaper Production admit that they were not looking forward to class at first when receiving their schedules.

“I just joined it to be with my friends and as a free period. I didn’t expect it to be all that great,” said freshman reporter Trey Walter.

This shows that sometimes we can be too judgemental about something we do not understand, simply because of the stereotypes and stigma surrounding it. 

“The class is an elective…where you write…a lot. I get that that is not super exciting for most students,” said current Newspaper adviser and English teacher Scott Nairne.

Newspaper is an exciting elective, and although journalism is disregarded more nowadays, it’s how we get our news about everything across the world. It’s an important part of any community, including ours.

“Not everybody wants to do Newspaper, but it’s actually pretty fun. We get to socialize a lot and interview people for our articles. And Trey Walter is in it, so you know it’s great,” said Wallace.

Although you can no longer change your classes, all returning San Luis Obispo High School students should remember to keep Newspaper Production in mind when selecting electives for next year.