SLOHS School Spirit: more Than Your Average high school’s Pep Rally

SLOHS students, like SLOHS graduate Stella Tabuenca, have always felt the school spirit! Photo courtesy of the San Luis Obispo High School website. 

Whenever people visit our San Luis Obispo High School campus, they are surrounded by posters about themed football games and black and gold banners. However, this is not the only extent of school spirit. It goes beyond your average pep rally and can create an inviting and encouraging atmosphere for both students and staff to walk into every day. 

“To me, school spirit is supporting and showing up for your classmates and teachers. Personally, school spirit has played a huge role in my excitement towards school and my want to engage in the activities it has to offer. School spirit is not just a group effort, but individualistic in the way that it can motivate involvement and make going to school every day a more positive responsibility,” said senior and ASB president Lyla Merk. 

It is also important to keep in mind that most school events have hours and hours of work behind them, whether that be volunteers, ASB, or teachers helping out. And, all to provide a fun event for students to participate in. 

School spirit is a way of connecting our community, whether it be at games, rallies, or even normal day-to-day school life. It’s something that everyone can participate in, no matter who you are. 

“When I first started at SLOHS, I was nervous to be loud and proud about school spirit because I didn’t want other people to think I was too invested. Now that I do [participate in school spirit], I honestly feel a lot more excited to go to school every day because I feel like I’m part of a community,” said sophomore and school spirit enthusiast Olivia Martinez.

Studies show that students who participate in school spirit perform better academically, are more socially engaged, and are overall happier people than their less-spirited friends. School spirit can also help provide identity and a sense of community in a big place filled with hundreds of students.

Along with school spirit comes pride! And when equipped with the proper merch and gear to display their school spirit, a great sense of leadership and pride allows students to show off something that they feel passionate about.

So Tigers, next time there’s a football game, dance, rally, or any school event, show up! Dress up! It is a great way to get involved in the SLOHS community, and it has more benefits than anyone might think.

Sources: cas.casciac.org, spiritgear.com, slohs.slcusd.org