Newly Reinstated Frosh Football Runs Circles Around Dos Pueblos in Their First Game of the Season. 

SLOHS and Dos Pueblos lining up at the line of scrimmage to brawl. Photo courtesy to SLOHS parent Jess Cramer.

On the first day of school, the newly reinstated San Luis Obispo High School Freshman Football team beat Dos Pueblos High School by a staggering 43-0. Even though this was the first game of the season, surprisingly few people were in the stands.

Many sports, especially JV and Frosh teams, are under supported at SLOHS. While this is common, it can be quite disheartening to win by so much and not have support from their fellow Tigers. 

“People think the freshman team won’t be as entertaining and skillful,” said receiver for the Frosh team and freshman Santiago Amaya. 

This mindset seems to be common among students, as practically nobody attended this away game. This may just be the reality for non-varsity teams across the board, or it could create more of an incentive to make varsity. 

“I think that in sports our school is represented by the varsity level so there are not many times where I feel that the lower levels are supported publicly,” said junior Matthew Haynes. 

Despite not being at varsity level, there were many points scored and a lot of action, proving that the Frosh team is very skillful.

A good question, however, could be whether attendance at games is the definition of support.  

“They have an awesome coaching staff, plenty of field space, and access to everything that our other teams have,” said Athletic Director Adam Basch.    

Schools cannot predict attendance at any sporting events and school spirit cannot be enforced; all they can do is ensure that every team has access to great facilities and supportive coaches. 

The SLOHS Frosh Football team is new this year, so nobody knowing about their game is not unusual, but they still need support.

Frosh football has another game next Thursday, August 31; let’s show them some support, Tigers!