Fall play “Noises Off” Auditions are Today and Tomorrow

Fall play auditions for “Noises Off” start today. Photo courtesy of the SLOHS Newsletter.

San Luis Obispo High School is putting on its first show of the year! The play “Noises Off” is a comedic production in which the effervescent characters go through the adventure of putting on a show that’s going to hell in a handbasket.

Student actors will have to work hard to bring this production to life. 

The “Noises Off” playwright Michael Frayn begins this farce with the actors rehearsing at the Grand theater, still trying to figure out lines and blocking with just hours before opening night. By Act III, getting by unscathed is out of the question for the actors who are now turning on each other. 

This production requires strong actors.

“I will be teaching everything else they need to know, but coming in with a really strong presence [and that] you are loud, you enunciate, and your diction is clear… is basically the number one thing,” said English and Theater Production teacher Noelle Eben. 

There is an informational meeting today about tryouts in room 124 at lunch with Eben. Auditions take place Tuesday and Wednesday after school. In order to audition students must have the show contract signed by them and a guardian, be familiar with the monologue options, and know the plot well. Callbacks proceed to Thursday the 24, by invitation only. All this information can be found on the Theater Google Classroom. This opportunity is coming up quickly, don’t miss your chance!

For students who don’t want to be on stage, there are many other opportunities behind the scenes. Eben has parent and student volunteers who help with different aspects like hair and makeup, costuming, construction, painting, prop-making, set design, and many other things. In the theater google classroom there is Tech Crew sign up that anyone can be a part of.

This production will be memorable for participants and the audience.

“I think people, especially the high school students, will have a lot of fun coming to a comedy show where they probably feel more engaged and entertained,” said senior Naomi Garrett.

The theatergoers will get a laugh and a fun time and the actors will get an experience in teamwork, dedication, and a professional theater experience.  

“We all work to create something that didn’t exist before, and we do it together,” said Eben.

Sources: SLOHS Theater Google Classroom