After Months of Anticipation from SLOHS students, “Barbie” movie Comes Out Tomorrow

The vibrance of the film screams “Barbie!” Photos courtesy of Warner Bros Production Company.

Movies are one of the most important parts of popular culture for students at San Luis Obispo High School. After fourteen years of negotiations and production, “Barbie” will arrive in theaters tomorrow, July 21, 2023. 

This is not the first Barbie movie, following dozens of animated films in the early 2000s, several books, multiple animated serieses, and hundreds of dolls, Barbie has been all over the world. The 2023 Barbie movie is likely the most highly anticipated Barbie media to date, staring critically acclaimed actress Margot Robbie, directed by actor and producer Greta Gerwig, as well as featuring a cast of multitalented and popular actors. 

“Margot Robbie is amazing and I’m just so excited to see how they portray the Barbie Universe,” said 2023 SLOHS graduate Angie Perry. 

“Barbie” will feature a variety of popular musicians including Lizzo, Tame Impala, and Nicki Minaji. 

The film will also come out the same day as highly anticipated film “Oppenheimer” leading many students to debate which to see first.

“I want to go see ‘Oppenheimer’ first because it’s an intense movie about atomic bombs, and it will prepare me to directly go into ‘Barbie’ to see the most glorious live action remake of my childhood,” said 2023 SLOHS graduate Dylan Shaouat. 

Despite the bright and colorful palate of the film, the trailers have hinted at something darker going on in the background. In one of the recent trailers, during a dance off, the main character Barbie stops and askes her fellow Barbies if they “ever think about dying?”

The real life inspiration for Barbie, Barbara Handler, appears in the trailer as well. When Handler was little, her parents created the doll during an era of baby dolls, to inspire her. 

Barbie has become a global franchise beloved by kids and adults everywhere. The “Barbie” movie is sure to impress. 

Source: abcnews.go