Are Large SLOHS Classroom Assignments Worth The Time?

An example of a well-done creative project. Photo courtesy of freshman Roslyn Risner.

Many large, end-of-year, projects are reaching their due date as the school year comes to an end at San Luis Obispo High School. While these projects may be a good way to show a student’s knowledge of what they learned, students become stressed, split between the desire to do anything but work and recognizing the importance of such projects.

“I think they’re important because it’s a cumulative of all that I’ve learned throughout the year,” said freshman Sophia Bates.

Cumulative work is vital to a class, many students that study exclusively to pass a test will struggle in many of their future assignments if they don’t do cumulative assignments.

“My primary issue is setting aside the time to do it,” said freshman Abby Wren.

The primary issue with large end-of-the year assignments is procrastination. Regardless of when a project is assigned, it’s extraordinarily likely for students to only begin working on the project until right before the deadline.

This provides unnecessary stress and puts students into a position of extreme despair for an assignment that, whilst important, lacks the amount of importance worthy of such stress.

Stop procrastinating end of year assignments, if a high percentage of a grade is placed upon a project, don’t hesitate to start it.

Source: Mcleanhospital.org