Is Football Worth The Risk?

Football stands as a quintessential element of the high school experience, a long-held tradition of a ‘real American’ sport, but we often seem to ignore the toll that it has on its players. With the recent injury of Templeton High School junior Isaac Lindsey in a game against San Luis Obispo High School, it has only become more apparent that the sport can pose serious danger, and we are left to question: is America’s favorite self-destructive pastime worth the risk?

Although most injuries sustained in games or practices don’t end up with the victim hospitalized, many fractures, tears, and other bodily trauma keep players off their feet for weeks, if not longer. High School football alone accounts for 47 percent of all reported sports concussions—that’s a lot of kids potentially getting permanent brain damage just to play for a few seasons.

“Injuries really took a lot of time out of my other obligations and activities, coupled by the enormous commitment from football itself,” said senior Andrew Toh, who was forced to quit two years ago due to multiple concussions. “If you want to be good, you have to make it your top priority, regardless of injury or extraneous responsibilities.”

Of course, there are injuries in every form of athletics; it’s inevitable for contact sports to occasionally have a little too much contact. But playing a game based on high-speed collisions and deliberately tackling one another is almost asking to be hurt.

I’m personally biased on the issue as I don’t share the same passion for the sport that most of its athletes do. I haven’t experienced the thrill of barreling to the end zone under Friday night lights, so I don’t quite understand the love for the game that makes it all worth it to the players. Though, coming from someone that enjoys keeping all appendages intact, I don’t think I’ll start playing any time soon. As a school, we should be valuing health and safety over competition. Logically, the case for football just doesn’t add up.

Sourcehttp://www.pbs.org/

View Comments (1)