What’s the hype with SLOChella?

This year’s SLOChella is sure to be a blast. Photo courtesy of junior Alma Tinoco. 

San Luis Obispo High School is hosting SLOChella next Saturday, April 29, on the Holt field from four to seven p.m.

This year’s event features bands like Georgey, Elbow-Drop Sunday, Awkward Silence, and DJs Atticus Fenton and Tommy Byde. Along with live music, SLOChella will have games and food by Sequel, Keiki Hawaiian Shave Ice, and 805 Tacos.  

“People should go to SLOChella because it’s just gonna be a lot of fun. Everyone loves music and I think a lot of people that went to Winter Formal are going to realize that that was a really good time as well and they’re gonna kind of get the same experience at SLOChella. It’s nice to meet more people and have fun with your friends, and you’re not going to get many events like this during your high school career so you might as well make the most of it,” said ASB president, DJ, and senior Atticus Fenton. 

Student DJs will be gracing the stage following a previous performance from this school year’s Winter Formal. Returning to the stage will also be Georgey and members from Elbow-Drop Sunday, who played at SLOChella last year. 

“I’m really excited for this year’s SLOChella considering how exciting last year’s was. I feel like we have a better sense of self compared to last year in terms of our sound and I feel like we’ve matured in that and expanded to other genres a little bit more. Even if it’s a little bit, I feel like we’ve done work in that department. There are three to four new songs and then we’re gonna play, two originals, and maybe a cover if we end up getting there,” said Georgey’s drummer and senior Holly Schmitt. 

Along with the live fun, SLOChella will be having a color-blast theme. Those who purchase the first one hundred and fifty tickets will get a free t-shirt. Tickets go on sale on April 24 and will be priced at five dollars. 

“We wanted to make SLOChella a blast this year, so the theme we did is color-blast. Basically, everyone’s gonna get white shirts, and then there’ll be paint and tie-dye everywhere so you can totally deck out your shirt. We overall just want to make it a kind of relaxed, fun environment for anyone that’s looking to hang out and have a good time,” said Fenton. 

This is gonna be an event SLOHS students don’t wanna miss. Get tickets when they come out for free swag and a fun time, Tigers!