“The Catcher in the Rye” is the Most Influential Novel Ever Written.

Everyone will be “Holden’ on” to Salinger’s great influence. Photo courtesy of People and Culture Editor Karl Karsh.

Most students and staff at San Luis Obispo High School are well aware of American author J.D. Salinger’s novel “The Catcher in the Rye.” Some people cherish the novel, whereas others despise it. Though the novel is controversial, there is no arguing that Salinger’s literary masterpiece changed many people’s lives.

“The Catcher in the Rye” is an American novel that was written in 1951. The protagonist is a 16-year-old boy named Holden Caulfield. Despite the novel being 234 pages, the “Catcher in the Rye” only covers two days of Caulfield’s life. 

“I’d describe the novel as who you see looking in the mirror. You can always make yourself look better, try to mask reality, but the mirror will always be honest and show you what it sees. I really enjoyed this novel because Holden Caulfield’s thoughts and actions really spoke to me,” said junior Luc Chen Abbott.

The loss of innocence is the main subject in “The Catcher in the Rye.” Caulfield finds himself transitioning from a pure, curious child to an adult that has to face the stress of neverending societal expectations.

“The Catcher in the Rye” is written in a unique, simple style and provides thoughtful insights about growing older, as well as one’s growing hatred towards the fallacy society holds.

Though the novel is one of the most outstanding pieces of literature ever written, some people dislike it because of how the main character is portrayed. Even though “The Catcher in the Rye” isn’t for everyone, even the haters of Caulfield agree that the novel itself is a masterpiece. 

“I feel that people often read things to have their opinions confirmed. I would recommend this novel to people who feel that they would or do dislike it because sometimes we have to expose ourselves to ideas we don’t want to hear,” said AP Literature Teacher Ivan Simon.

If you haven’t already, give “The Catcher in the Rye” a read, Tigers!

Source: britannica.com