Go Downtown for a quick world trip: SLO’s cultural cuisines.

SLO downtown is sprinkled with a variety of cuisines including asian, european and mexican. Giuseppe’s on Monterey Street is a long standing stalwart to the Italian choices of the town with their elegant, more dining based setup. All photos courtesy of senior Malibu Uzunlar.

Winter time is delightfully suitable for sitting down for a hot meal or a drink, and SLO downtown is just the perfect place to sample lots of different treats from all around the world. And with every day passing by, there are new additions being made to the diversity of the humble catalog of cultures intertwining.

SLOHS Expressions went around the streets of SLO to document some of the most popular places both the residents and the Tigers liked going the most when they want a change of palette, and a lot of them seem to not disappoint with their food.    On Higuera Street, Nick The Greek Restaurant is a fairly new place that has small prices and big portion sizes that pack fresh Mediterranean flavors.

Another beloved cafe and treat shop on Higuera is the authentic Turkish coffee place Lokum, accurately named after the Turkish word for their main attraction, Turkish delight. 

Small but warm, San Luis Taqueria on Monterey Street is a go-to mexican place for lots of SLO residents and students, specifically preferred for having as takeout. 

A quicker stop for a sweet pick-me-up is the welcoming family business Sweetie Cup on Chorro Street, serving a wide range of boba and tea options that are mostly customizable to your taste.  

The places mentioned are usually open in different times of the day, some being open for later hours for dinner and drink options. Especially with the farmers market on Thursdays, the liveliness of the environment is nothing to miss out on. Take your family or your friends with you for a change in your routine and palette to any of the places for a nice meal, and remember to leave good tips and reviews to keep on supporting the local businesses of San Luis Obispo.