Is SLOHS doing a good job at taking care of student mental health? We asked students.

Teenage emotions are hard to contain and care for. Drawing photo courtesy of reporter Leila Dragomir. 

Like most schools, San Luis Obispo High School staff and administrators try their best to support student mental health, but do students think they’re doing enough?

“I think the school does a pretty good job at supporting students, they put out resources to find help if you’re struggling and need it. However, they could be doing a lot more like making school more inviting and giving select students more time and support if they’re struggling in classes,” said sophomore Treyce League when asked if he thinks the school is doing enough to support students.

Depending on the teacher, getting extra help and even extensions on assignments if needed is a possibility, but not all teachers are lenient and understanding of students who need some grace. However, it never hurts to reach out to teachers and ask for extra time and support.

“I think the school tries to support students, and in their minds they think they’re being helpful but they aren’t always helpful in reality. I think most of the schools’ attempts to support students is only fueled by demand and because they have to try and help students, not because they actually care or because they want to, it’s just because they have people telling them they have to,” said an anonymous junior.

SLOHS might not always do an adequate job at taking care of its students but it’s obvious that they are trying their best with the time and resources they have. However, there is always room for improvement.

According to the schools website, SLOHS only has four academic counselors at the moment and it can be overwhelming for them to try and help thousands of students. 

Sources: slohs.slcusd.org