Does the HBO streaming series “The Last of Us” beat “The Walking Dead?”

Actors Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey are bringing video games to life. Photo illustration courtesy of senior Taylor Nelson.

San Luis Obispo High School students are loving the new post-apocalyptic television series “The Last of Us,” which is based on the video game of the same name.

It depicts a man, Joel Miller, played by Pedro Pascal who watches his daughter die due to a disorganized military at the start of an apocalypse that infects people with a fungus that quickly turns them into monsters. After twenty years in the apocalypse, he is burdened with a job to get an immune teenage girl to a safer place, which they call a firefly outpost. He takes this job as self-redemption from losing his daughter in his presence and not being able to do anything about it.

“I find that you can really get invested in the show and you can see the character development for most characters. Also sometimes you can create a bond with your favorite character(s) which gets you more invested,” said sophomore Will Perkins.

Shows are always better when the characters develop themselves in a way that is relatable and allows the audience to start sympathizing with the characters making the show personal. In the show, it is especially beneficial because there are relationship-building skills and many more helpful abilities displayed.

“The third episode really works in one of the best love stories that my wife and I have ever watched on Television. This happens amongst the dread of another apocalyptic nightmare of a journey, which is such a beautiful and devastating juxtaposition. We are hooked every Sunday now,” said English teacher Scott Nairne.

Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal are the leading actors in “The Last of Us.” They go through many experiences together building their father-and-daughter-like relationship. This show is an exciting post-apocalyptic coming-of-age story that is based on one of the most popular video game franchises. 

Video games are already structured stories that make amazing movies and TV shows, so what’s next?

Source: hbo.com