Need quick after school exercise?  High School Hill Loop awaits.

The SLO-famous Beacon Tower awaits hikers at the highest point of the trail. All photos courtesy of SLOHS Expressions adviser Scott Nairne.

The winter months can be a tough time of year for exercise for San Luis Obispo High School students.  With shorter days and a weekly chance of rain, the 3:40 p.m. end of the school day offers little chance of big outdoor movement and sweating. 

SLOHS Expressions went for the closest option to school – a roughly four mile trail route we like to call the High School Hill Loop. This is the closest trail to the school and does not disappoint those looking for a strenuous and quick hike.

At the North end of San Luis Drive and just past the orange gate, the trail goes straight up for about a mile. Don’t forget to stop and look back down.

Once up the first mile, the views towards SLOHS are worth a pause.  Post rain green hills make it even more photographic.

At the top of the climb, the tower awaits. The beacon tower was used during the World War II era. The views are amazing in all directions from here including up the coast, over the 101 freeway traffic, towards Reservoir Canyon, and of course, down towards most of San Luis Obispo.

Just down the trail from the tower, hang a right and start down the steep Firefighter’s Trail.

Once the trail finds the tree filled creek crossings at the bottom, it comes out on Lizzie Court, which is the road right next to the San Luis Coastal Unified District office, baseball fields, and the staircase back down to SLOHS.  

Be aware that the trail is awful right after a rain, and it gets really hot in the summertime.  Wait about a week after the rainstorm predicted for this weekend and then go for it. This hike can be done in under two hours, so students should be able to get back to their cars before sundown. Carry water and a snack, take a friend, and remember to always let someone know where they are going.

Source: Hikespeak.com