Coach Basch has helped the Cross Country team to state 2 years in a row, what’s his secret? 

Coach Basch talks to varsity cross country athletes following their win at the Brug Invite. Photo Courtesy of local photographer Mark Greenelsh.

Special Education teacher and Cross Country coach Adam Basch is one of San Luis Obispo’s hardworking coaching staff. He has helped the Cross Country and track teams to many victories over the past years. Expressions set out to find out more about this incredible teacher, coach, and leader to many.

Expressions: How long have you been teaching/coaching for?

SLOHS Special Education teacher and Cross Country coach Adam Basch: I started teaching at Vinton County High School in McArthur, Ohio in January 2005.  I believe I started helping with the track team that Spring as well, although it may not have been until XC season in the fall of 2005.

Expressions: How did you find yourself at SLOHS?

Basch: It’s a long story, but essentially my wife Jenni moved us out here as she changed careers and enrolled at Cal Poly. I started applying at local schools (I had already been teaching in Ohio for a few years) and SLOHS was the first one to offer me a job.

Expressions: What made you want to teach/coach?

Basch: I had always enjoyed reading, writing, and editing, even if I hadn’t enjoyed the ‘school’ part.  I thought I could do better than some of the teachers I had.  Turns out it is a little trickier than I thought it would be. Coaching is a natural extension of the teaching role for me. I’m paying back the coaches that helped me have some great experiences in youth and high school sports, particularly my high school XC coach Ross Deye.

Expressions: Other than coaching Cross Country and Track & Field what do you teach?

Basch: This trimester I am co-teaching English 10 P with Ms. Decker, English 10 B at the intervention level, and a modified World History class. In the past I have also taught a Jobs class, Study Skills, AVID, Algebra I, and a few other classes.

Expressions: How do you like teaching Special Education?

Basch: Teaching students at any level can be frustrating or extremely rewarding, depending on the specific group of students, course material, and outside factors.  Most days I wake up excited to come to school and create the best possible learning environment for the greatest number of students.

Adam Basch is truly an inspiration to all students and athletes that he helps coach and teach, San Luis Obispo High School hopes he keeps it up for many years to come.