How to Fix Your Sleep Schedule

Poor sleep-deprived students uncontrollably fall asleep anywhere and at any time. College courtesy of Cassiopeia Mamaradlo.

It’s no joke to say that most San Luis Obispo High School students are sleep deprived. Fortunately, school season has wrapped up and students have more time than ever to catch up on their sleep! 

Fixing your body clock and building new sleep habits are tough, but there are many ways to change your sleeping patterns and feel its benefits. 

“I do sleep eight hours a day mainly because when I sleep less I find myself tired and irritated… I try to get nine-plus hours of sleep. I’m definitely more energetic and productive when I sleep at least 8 hours a day,” said SLOHS graduate Ameera Triplett.

Sleeping allows the body to recover on a molecular level, which improves our energy balance, mood, alertness, and intellectual functions. It takes about three weeks to form a habit, and summer has more than enough time for students to take advantage of their flexible schedule to fix their sleeping behaviors.

“I always feel groggy when I sleep, no matter how long or short I sleep. Sometimes the shorter I sleep, the better I feel in the morning,” said SLOHS graduate Cal Lanier.

Other than fixing deep sleep habits, naps are also a beneficial way to reduce daytime sleepiness and boost learning and performance. Naps on the beach, for example, hit 2 birds with one stone for students looking to tan while improving their sleeping schedule.

“Majority of the time, I sleep eight hours a day. I kind of don’t have any responsibilities at the moment, all I do is work sometimes. So far, no [noticeable] benefits because I had a pretty healthy sleep schedule during the school season,” said SLOHS graduate Alma Tinoco.

Students who have already been getting their eight hours in might not notice a clear difference, but when put in comparison to sleep deprived individuals, the contrast is astonishing. Students with sufficient rest have more collagen, less wrinkles, are more fit and energetic, and overall look livelier.

By dedicating at least three weeks to intentionally fixing sleeping habits during the summer, students are setting themselves up for a more productive, energetic, and joyful school year ahead.

Making the most out of summer also means to make the most of improving yourself and your health!

Sources: newsinhealth.nih.gov